On the 31st of May 2015, I gave birth to my gorgeous baby - Bella.
In the wee hours of the morning after enduring almost 30 hours of the worst pain I could have ever imagined existed. Needless to say, I was SO very happy to have our little bundle of joy, finally out!
But that's another story…
As you know, we make our own natural skin care products - so I naturally had plenty of expecting mums out there asking me not only about my own experience of giving birth - and how to avoid some of the potential problems which can and do occur during pregnancy, but also seeking advice on which skincare products I could recommend, which would treat and nourish their bodies during (and after) pregnancy. Plus what products to use on their bubs in the first few years of their life.
In the months leading up to the arrival of Bella, I was completely driven - to gathering as much information as I possibly could and researching everything available on achieving optimum health and skin during (and after) pregnancy. But it soon dawned on me that practically everything I needed, was actually in my kitchen (or at least within close reach).
I woke up to the fact that the baby business is well & truly an industry - full of unnecessary products, items and expenses that can exhaust and confuse even the most selective of picky parents out there. Through my own personal experience - and also with the benefit of Mr Harry Hindsight, these are the best tips I can give to smooth and healthy pregnancy.
1. Drink as much Green Juices as you can - including everything like carrots, beetroot, spinach, kale, ginger, wheatgrass and apples. This will ensure you get the necessary vitamins - and also happens to be the best way to get Folate or vitamin B-9 (which I always prefer, instead of taking fake Folic Acid). This is essential for optimum baby formation – and also your own general health and wellbeing, during the entire course of your pregnancy.
2. Regularly use Epsom Salts (Magnesium). During my pregnancy, I created and used a particular oil - specifically for my body, which I applied on my tummy every single day, as well as having a bath (or 3) every week - packed with Epsom Salts. Magnesium is of vital importance during pregnancy - especially for fetus development (without it, we generally suffer a lack of calcium). It is a fact that during pregnancy, your need for Magnesium actually increases. Magnesium helps to build and repair tissues during pregnancy, works to regulate your blood/sugar levels – and is also highly important for strong baby bones & teeth development. Epsom salts can also provide great comfort (especially during your last month of pregnancy) when those dreaded leg cramps can become more common. Ouch! Epsom salts can be your knight in shining armour - when it comes to getting some sleep!
3. Regularly use the belly balm. Personally, from the time I knew I was pregnant, to the present day (almost 3 years now!) - I have been a devotee of this fantastic product! Those who already use it will know what I mean - zero stretch marks!
4. Regularly use Wonder balm. As the name suggests, this all-in-one multipurpose balm can be used to prevent or heal nappy rash, as a baby-body massage, plus also as a general dry skin moisturiser. This one product may well become the eighth wonder of the world!
5. Regularly use Baby bath soak. As you would probably expect, I continue to use this product on Bella (now 22 months the wiser). Please avoid the use of regular/standard soaps (yuk!) on your precious little newborns. Used together (applied) with the medium Mediterranean sponge, this super food bath salt is packed with tons of vitamins for bubs, contains magnesium, colloidal oats and works wonders with babies who suffer from Eczema or extremely dry skin. Also useful for all types of skin infections, this product contains vitamin C – which assists in the removal of excessive chloride, hence making the bath-water purified and clean. The sponge is made from superior quality - specifically for using on babies and effortlessly removes dirt or body impurities from bubs, ever so gently.
6. Regularly use a Vaporiser. Forget your American Express card… you definitely cannot leave your home without this baby (pardon the pun)! Of all the purchases you make – in relation to your newborn, I would say getting your hands on a vaporiser, is practically a necessity! For starters, it keeps the room free from bacteria. Our vaporiser has helped clear cold & flu symptoms for Bella, countless times over the last few seasons. I usually add about 10 drops to 500ml of water and leave it running throughout the night. When my magic vaporiser then does its thing, it usually means a full night of sleep ahead – for all! My new best friend!
I sincerely hope you find this information useful and can use some of these secret, hidden pearls of wisdom within your own (life-giving) journey.
Some of these products mentioned can be purchased through our online store. We are also very happy to customise any order/purchase of magnesium oil - as well as provide advice on any additional information needed in regards to purchasing a suitable vaporiser.
If you have any questions - or anything you would like to share with us, please feel free to contact us via email or through any of our social media channels.